Tuesday, May 29, 2007

 

Friday Movie Review (quite late)

Went alone to Pirates of the Caribbean: at World's End and three hours later, I left the theater. Nothing that happened in the meantime made any sense but what really was I expecting of a movie, third in a series, based on a ride at Disneyland?

I don't know if they ever identify when this thing is supposed to be happening. My knowledge of English uniforms is a little rusty, as is my sense of fashion through the ages. (I can identify Empire dresses). The pirates had weapons from at least two centuries. If pressed, I would say early/mid 1700s. So, supposedly at that time there were pirates all over the world who were in league with each other and who had the power to 'bind' a Goddess. That's not the Earth in the 18th Century I recognize.

Calypso, for the record, was a Naiad, a sea nymph, not quite a Goddess, who spent several years with Odysseus. The movie version Calypso did seem to have an affinity for crabs and a Jamaican accent you could use as a leather softener. I like the actress, Naomie Harris, very much--she was the tough as nails heroin in 28 Days Later and was down to Earth delightful in Tristam Shandy. However, what her role was in the story is difficult to detect. The story was often difficult to detect.

I'm reminded of the Matrix trilogy. The first good movie did not support a sequel but they pieced together enough ideas to get through it, but the third movie was incoherent.

You can't satisfy the discerning moviegoing public with a mere series of special effects. If we don't care what happens next, because we don't know what's happening now, there's no emotional impact. This was a very expensive sound and light show. Depp was pretty good, again, but Keith Richard must have thought he was in a serious historical drama. I guess his mere presence was the joke. Ha Ha Ha.

Labels:


Comments:
Off Topic

Sir,

I recently came across one of your old blogs.

My father was Walter Parys, Torpedoes Mate on the USS Buchanan DD484 during World War II.

He was in the Honor Guard for MacArthur and had to know your Dad.

Dad past away Memorial Day Weekend, 1990 but to his dying day he was proudest of having served on the Buchanan.

Please Ask your dad if he remembers my Dad.

You can reach me at jparys@snet.net

Thank you.
 
Dude, you need to lighten up and enjoy entertainment for entertainment's sake. Not every film is mandated to be historically correct. But, since you're desperate to identify the "period", maybe you should start with figuring out when the first ship capable of a 180-degree role which inverts a sunrise and causes a green flash joined the fleet; that would narrow it down for you. :-)
 
My dad was, as a 2nd Lt., in charge of the torpedoes on the Buchanan so I'm pretty sure he did know your dad. I ask next time I talk to him and e-mail you. Thanks for reaching out.

2nd Anon. I liked the inverted ship coming back into our world. That was neatly done. It doesn't have to be accurate but why not make it as accurate as possible and only move away from historical fact to make a point or move the plot along. The default mode should be historic accuracy.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?