Wednesday, December 24, 2014

 

Recognizing the Bigger Problem

Here is a list of unarmed "people of color" killed by police or security guards in the past 15 years  in America. Many of them were not shot but died in a scuffle. The total for 15 years, 1999 through 2014, is 76, just over 5 per year.

Here are the stats for black murder victims in the United States from the FBI (2014 are not available):

2013    6261 black murder victims
2012    6454 black murder victims
2011    6329 black murder victims
2010    6470 black murder victims
2009    6556 black murder victims
2008    6782 black murder victims
2007    7316 black murder victims
2006    7421 black murder victims
2005    7125 black murder victims
2004    6632 black murder victims
2003    6887 black murder victims
2002    6730 black murder victims
2001    6446 black murder victims
2000    6193 black murder victims
1999    5855 black murder victims

Total  99,457 black murder victims

If we add in the probable 2014 statistics we're well over 100,000 in 15 years. Divide 100,000 by 75 and you get 1315.8. So a black person in the United States is 1,316 times more likely to be murdered  than they are, unarmed, to be killed by police or security guards. And of the 100,000 murder black murder victims, almost 96,000 were killed by other black Americans.

So, the protestors are silent on the everyday murders, over 18 per day, but are going ballistic about the extraordinarily rare, killed by police while black and unarmed, which occur on average once every 73 days.

Wow, some people's idea of a serious problem is completely out of whack.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
good post. How many whites are murdered by blacks per year?
 
I'm not sure they keep that stat. They know that something like 87% of white murder victims are killed by other whites but the remaining 13% is not broken down further. Do you know the answer to your question?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?