Thursday, January 12, 2012

 

I Watched Full Metal Jacket, Again

I still think the first part (of three in the book it's based on, The Short-Timers by the late Gustav Hasford) is about the best filmmaking Kubrick ever did. Introducing us to R. Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio with prominent roles for both was no small matter either. But what struck me again was the cadence chants during the training runs. Here's part of one:

I don't know but I've been told
Eskimo pussy is mighty cold.

You just have to admire the epistemological honesty.

Labels:


Comments:
Never saw the movie, but thought I'd read the book. But my Fort Collins library doesn't have it, and I can't log onto Prospector here at work.

and yikes, they want $33-$40 for a paperback copy on alibris.com.

This will call for some investigative creativity.
 
Success! Logged onto internet via personal account & found that a couple of Prospector libraries have a copy. I have filled my max. number of local reserve requests, however, so will have to wait until that loosens up a bit.

Arrrggghhhh, the to-read pile never shrinks; it only grows.
 
I've given away about 15 copies over the years. I don't think I have another copy to give now. Sorry. My to read pile is about 40 books tall as well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?