Sunday, August 14, 2011

 

This Day in the History of Music Festivals


On this day in 1969, the Woodstock Music Festival (Three Days of Peace and Music) opened in Bethel, NY. I was 16, in Virginia, and I had a car; and although I didn't go (hadn't even heard it was happening beforehand) I could have gone which makes me part of the Woodstock Nation in a way people who couldn't have attended can only dream of. BFD, actually.

Jeff Beck was scheduled to appear but his band fell apart days before when his pianist Nicky Hopkins left and Beck didn't get to Woodstock (although Hopkins did playing keyboards for Jefferson Airplane). I would have been really disappointed.

One of the great things about music during the extraordinarily creative period (1966-1971) were the art nouveau influenced posters and cards of upcoming shows. They're a distant memory now replaced with much less attractive T-shirts, I guess.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?