Tuesday, January 27, 2009

 

We Don't Reject the Jews so Much as They Reject Us

What makes the Jews so special? History.

What is their greatest asset? Family and clan.

Why are they so hated? It's largely jealousy with a little payback for rejection.

What is the greatest country, by far, in the Middle East? Israel. Or so I believe.

I was talking to a very educated woman on Grand Cayman and she repeated the Carter libel that Israel practiced apartheid. I asked her in what way--there were hundreds of thousands of Arabs living in Israel with full citizenship rights? She said that those Arabs couldn't go to the best schools. That was it. I just shrugged.

What I should have said is: "Is that it? A Jew can't even live in most Islamic nations, but you compare Israel to the racist regime in South Africa decades ago because Jews own the entry spots in the top universities in Israel?" I might have thrown a Latin quote at her, from the vulgate--quid autem vides festucam in oculo fratris tui et trabem in oculo tuo non vides.

But I didn't, I was the quiet American. Kind of felt like Peter in Gethsemane later.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?