Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Top Forty-Six War Movies
- Lawrence of Arabia (WWI)
- Grave of the Fireflies (WWII)
- Pork Chop Hill (Korean War)
- Mr. Roberts (WWII)
- Zulu (1879 Invasion of Zulu Nation by Britain)
- Glory (American Civil War)
- The Bridge (WWII)
- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Napoleonic Wars)
- Blackhawk Down (Somali Civil War)
- Fires on the Plain (WWII)
- Paths of Glory (WWI)
- Breaker Morant (Second Anglo-Boer War)
- The Great Raid (WWII)
- The Beast (Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan)
- Battle of Algiers (War of Algerian Independence)
- Ride With the Devil (American Civil War)
- The Winter War (Soviet-Finnish War)
- Dark Blue World (WWII)
- The Steel Helmet (Korean War)
- The Bridge on the River Kwai (WWII)
- The Grand Illusion (WWI)
- The General (American Civil War)
- When Trumpets Fade (WWII)
- Casablanca (WWII)
- Threads (Cold War)
- Seven Samurai (Sengoku Period)
- Hell is for Heroes (WWII)
- Go Tell the Spartans (Vietnam War)
- 49th Parallel (WWII)
- The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968) (Crimean War)
- The Grey Zone (WWII)
- MASH (Korean War)
- Downfall (WWII)
- Bravo Two Zero (First Gulf War)
- The Best Years of Our Lives (WWII)
- Conspiracy (WWII)
- Beau Geste (1939) (War of Algerian Independence)
- Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Cold War)
- Stalag 17 (WWII)
- Rolling Thunder (Vietnam War)
- The Sand Pebbles (Chinese Civil War)
- Harakiri (Shogunate Period)
- Closely Watched Trains (WWII)
- United 93 (Jihadi War)
- Alexander Nevsky (Teutonic Knights Attack on Novgorod)
- The Duellists (Napoleonic Wars)
Labels: War Movies
At last a post that will elicit any # of comments like, "Why 46?" and, how could you possibly omit "Das Boot?" which would make 47. More additional suggestions anon.
Which is just a long way of saying, "I disagree".
De gustibus ....
ps. I tried to post this once and got an error. Since it didn't show up after reloading the page (and against my better judgement) I'm trying again.
That as "Tora, Tora, Tora" inasmuch as we are neither call bulls in Spanish nor ordering fatty tuna at a sushi bar.
No doubrt the list will expand. What about "A Walk in the Sun?"
By way of addition not substitution.