Wednesday, November 07, 2007

 

This Day in the Short History of Reagan Mistakes

On this day in 1986, the Simpson-Mazzoli Immigration Act was signed into law by President Reagan, permitting approximately three million illegal immigrants to remain in the country legally. The bill contained border enforcement language which was never effectively implemented and now we don't know how many tens of millions illegal immigrants there are in the United States. We have just narrowly escaped making the same mistake in comprehensive immigration reform. Most Americans want us to enforce the laws that exists. Not too much to ask as far as I'm concerned.

Labels:


Comments:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want to fix the problem, go after the companies and individuals that hire illegals. I have seen it work here with my own eyes (and to my own expense).

However, I wouldn't hold my breath that either of the two major parties in the US would do anything to hurt their corporate buddies.
 
In the lack of any other explanation, I have to defer to you on this. It seems a no brainer in a post 9/11 world to actually protect the borders, but we don't do it; and the deportation of those here illegally (and raids on their illegal employers) just seems like a show to keep us dumb and happy.
 
Remove the source of income and the flow slows way, way down. The only was to do that is to crack down on employers.

If it can work here, it can work anywhere.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?