Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 

This Day in the History of Evil


On this day in 1943, Jewish resistance in the Warsaw ghetto ended after 28 days of fighting; and German troops destroyed the city’s main synagogue. This was an important event really, the first time the Jews in numbers fought back in an organized fashion, but the cost was enormous. 13,000 were killed outright and the remaining 50,000 were shipped off to the death camp at Treblinka, where nearly everyone was murdered within hours of arrival. The Germans only admitted to 18 battle deaths but the number was probably closer to 300. Still pretty lopsided. There was another uprising in 1944, when the Soviets raced up to liberate the city, the inhabitants tried to help by fighting the Germans and the Soviets paused and let them all get slaughtered before finally liberating Warsaw (a pattern they repeated several times throughout Eastern Europe).

Labels:


Comments:
I wish I knew I knew who were the seed of Moab and Ammon, but I don't. Agree about the length though. Thanks for the comment, above my head.
 
Yaeh. The Red Heifer Gang among others.
 
If the President is Republican, I feel strongly that we will continue to support Israel. If the President is a Democrat, I am no longer so certain.

Duk. I had a cow once that I'm pretty sure was all red. Damn, if I had only known how valuable she was.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?