Monday, November 13, 2006

 

Insomniac Theater

Watched Hotaru no haka, a 1988 Japanese anime film whose title translates as Grave of the Fireflies or Tombstone for the Fireflies, on Turner Movie Channel last night and cried and cried, as all parents would. It is as sad a cartoon as ever drawn, nearly as sad a Japanese movie as The History of Oharu, which is the saddest movie ever made. It's about a 12 year old brother and 4 year old sister struggling to survive the last six months of WWII as orphans in Japan. Anti-war and beautiful--don't watch it if you're depressed.

This was a product of Studio Ghibli, the Walt Disney Studios of Japan. Difficult to imagine Disney doing anything like this. The director was Isao Takahata not the slightly more talented Hayao Miyazaki who is the most famous director at Ghibli, who is Ghibli. I was impressed that it was not political or preachy. The voice in English of the little sister was by someone named Rhoda Chrosite--but since that is almost the name of a mineral, I'm doubting it's a real name. The story is based on the private history of a Japanese writer who carried these memories for his whole life. Rent and watch it if you dare. Not really for children.

Comments:
Please direct cldwhwz (or whatever her silly achronym of a name is) that I have finally gotten back to her on "thoughts on the election."

Oh, and once again, before you go congratulating someone on ripping me up, you might want to check to see if they did their home work.

What a laugh!
 
If I have lunch with her, as I hope to soon, I'll pass on your displeasure. I'm personally not interested in polling the foreign press last week to guage their respective happy meters, but I doubt any were on sad. I did follow her top link and it went nowhere. Not the first time a link has failed to satisfy. Anyway, you should be happy with the results but you seem pissed off instead. What's the deal?
 
I just hate it when people are so sacrosanct about a view and have absolutely nothing to back it up. Also, the Juan Cole link was just his home page so I had to search like a week of Juan Cole just to be sure nothing was there. I'm sure you understand how painful THAT was.

If I'm wrong, by all means, tear me up, but do it properly. I can't stand being called delusional by people who have not one shred of evidence to back up their claim. The whole point of blogging is you can back up your claims with links. If you can't, maybe you should reconsider your position, or at least refrain from engaging ad hominem attacks

On this issue, I had my tin foil hat tuned in for any dancing in the streets from the Arab world and I had already noted that there hadn't really been any (although the Czechs sure seemed pretty smug).

This whole idea that the terrorist wanted the Democrats to win is repugnant. Most of the world (and the United States for that matter) wanted Bush and his rubber stamp to be beaten because of his failed policy.

Time to just accept that fact for what it is.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?