Thursday, November 09, 2006

 

A Blast from the Past, Seriously

Jeff Beck - Ambitious

This is a mainstay of 80s music videos. Not all the humor works but some of it does. I recognize about half of the faces shown at the fictitious try-out. The guy in line early (sometimes he has number 100 on) and singing away from the microphone at the end is the guy who sang the song on the album, Jimmy Hall of Wet Willie non-fame. I think the somewhat unsubtle message of the video is that singers are a dime a dozen but there's only one guitar virtuoso like Beck. The solo was way ahead of its time in 1985 and still sounds great to me.

Comments:
I don't know. I didn't hear anything in the solo that hasn't been covered by Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen.

And the song, oh god, it was hard to listen to all the way through. He plays really well, but that is some really, really bad music.
 
De gustibus non est disputandum. I still like the guitar work. I recognize the influences but he's synthesized Eddie and Jimi et al. to make it recogizably his. Thanks for commenting,
 
Yea, clearly Beck has his own style, I just don't see him adding anything significant.
 
The guitar as a voice substitute is all Beck I think (Cause we've Ended as Lovers, Over the Rainbow, She's a Woman, etc.). I'm such a staunch fan, it's tough for me to accept that not everyone is a fan too. Thanks for sticking with your criticism. It makes me think to support my enjoyment on a rational plane.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?