Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

This Day in Science History

On this day in 1941, American paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, and science writer Stephen Jay Gould was born. He grew up in New York City, graduated from Antioch College and received his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1967. He became a Professor of Geology and Zoology at Harvard University. He was primarily a palaeontologist and an evolutionary biologist, though he taught geology and the history of science as well. He was one of the better modern popularizers of science and had a monthly column in Natural History, the ever slimming publication of the American Natural History Museum. He was the co-author of the evolutionary theory of punctuated equilibrium. He became de facto one of the most potent apologists for evolution and I think he would have crushed Ann Coulter in a debate on the subject had he not died of brain cancer on May 20, 2002.

Comments:
I agree. Ann Coulter's black cocktail dress would be no match for Stephen Jay Gould's intellect.

I propose a new project. Not Five people you want to meet in Heaven but Five debates you want to hear and see in Heaven.
 
Excellent idea. Let me think about it a bit and I'll post on it. Gould/Coulter is # 3, I think. I'll expect your list as a comment.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?