Tuesday, September 19, 2006

 

Friday Concert Review

Went with the handsome Sheila to Chautauqua to see fellow Virginian Bruce Hornsby who can flat out play some piano. He sings well (but his good strong voice seemed to come and go) and he can write a good song. But I have to tell this story. After an enforced time not buying CDs for about 3 years, I went to the used CD store and bought the then new formulation of Fleetwood Mac (with Dave Mason as the new Lindsay Buckingham and a second generation Bramlett as the new Stevie Nicks) (It was horrible) and a Hornsby album, the name of which escapes me. It had twelve songs on it, all about a lonely rock piano player on the road and dealing with women in one way or another. I'm sure there was some variation in the melodies and subject matter, but it was a very subtle variation and, as with the Fleetwood Mac CD, I took the loss and sold it back to the store the next day.

But there are better songs out there; some of the ones that got early radio play (The Way it is--which he played, and Every Little Kiss--which he did not). The bulk of the concert was songs (perhaps all of them) from Hot House, the best of which is Spider Fingers (which I'm led to believe was his nickname when Hornsby played with the Grateful Dead).

Hornsby's band is terrific, especially on the bass and drums, but the white boys on woodwinds and guitar/backup singing and mellotron like keyboards were no slouches. If I had a complaint, it was that he verges too often on jazz for my tastes, with swirling solos and everyone playing alone together until they hit a break and reform as a rock/pop band. And some of the songs were a little loosey goosey in structure, but it was a very fun concert and, no doubt due to his Grateful Dead play ethic, he was still playing when we left after the second encore, with no sign that he'd be stopping any time soon.

Not exactly my taste (guitar over keyboards any day) but you could do a lot worse than attending a Bruce Hornsby concert, a whole lot worse, as I'll talk about soon.

Comments:
Hornsby is a jazz player...and a quirky dude. The rock albums he did were a product of him living in LA...and Huey lewis pointing him in that direction to ' get a deal' with RCA. Had the pleasure of being at a session for his " Hot House " record, with Pat metheny....truly a life experience. Check out this link.
http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Soul_Connection.htm, and see that we are actually on a record together.

Mark Dunn
 
I went to school with Pat Matheney's brother Ed. Great guy, but he never introduced me to his brother. I like Pat Matheney a lot. I wasn't saying Hornsby is a bad jazz player, just that I never really got to critical mass for jazz.
Very cool that you know and have worked with all these guys. I feel like I'm writing a criticism of a gun and Mr. Stoner is reading. Thanks for the comments.
 
I'm not really a jazz guy either...but that is Bruce's favorite......Metheny is AWESOME !!



Mark Dunn
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?