Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

This Day in the History of Science

On this day in 1804, English anatomist and paleontologist Sir Richard Owen was born. He is famous still for his contributions to the study of fossil animals, but less known for his strong opposition to the views of Charles Darwin (thus earning a special place in the heart of Ann Coulter). He created the word "Dinosaur" meaning "terrible reptile" in 1842 (thus earning a special place in the hearts of all 7 year old boys). Owen synthesized French anatomical work, especially from Cuvier and Geoffroy, with German transcendental anatomy. He gave us many of the terms still used today in anatomy and evolutionary biology, including "homology". In 1856, he was appointed Superintendent of the British Museum (Natural History). He died December 18, 1892.

(h/t Today in Science History)

Comments:
This made me laugh out loud. Nice one.

Off topic: do you think you could point me in the direction of the law that prohibits newspapers from publishing, say, troop movements and such? I had it but now I can't find it.

Also, I posted on relativism. I'm sure you won't agree with what I said, but you might want to have a look. You know, just for kicks.

I have no idea, by the way, how you mangage to post so much. Great work.
 
The Pentagon Papers case whose real name I can't remember, said that unless it was troop movements (and lives at real, not just theoretical, risk) there is no prior restraint of publishing because of the 1st amendment. The case made clear that an indictment for violation of the various laws about keep secrets secret (Espionage Act of 1917 is all I can recall offhand) could follow publication of classified info.
If that's not enough, let me know. Thanks also for the compliments. You're writing appropriately for a one person (with a real job) blog. Keep up the good work.
 
Thanks for the lead. I found it. Thanks for all the support over the last 8 months too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?