Monday, June 26, 2006

 

This Day in American History

On this day in 1963, from the balcony of the Rathaus of Schoeneberg (a suburb of Berlin) President Kennedy said:

Two thousand years ago the proudest boast was civis romanus sum. Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is 'Ich bin ein Berliner.' All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words 'Ich bin ein Berliner!

Since there is a jelly doughnut called a Berliner in Germany, it is often said that using the definite article 'ein' changed 'I'm from Berlin' into 'I'm a jelly doughnut.' It's not that clear--mainly because Berliners didn't call it a Berliner much and the word doesn't change meanings just because it has 'ein' in front of it. If I said, for example, I am Hamburger or I am a Hamburger, there's little difference.

However, if you get a chance to see footage of the speech, look at Mayor of Berlin Willie Brandt's face, who is behind Kennedy as he says it. I think he's laughing at him.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?