Thursday, March 30, 2006

 

This Day in History

On this day in 1945, guitarist Eric Clapton was born in Ripley, Surrey, England. It gets more complicated. He was the illegitimate son of 16 year old Patricia Molly Clapton and 24 year old Canadian pilot, Edward Walter Fryer, who returned to his wife in Canada not knowing (for many years) he had fathered a son. To save the lad the stigma of being a bastard, he was raised by his grandparents, Rose and Jack Clapp, who pretended he was their son and his mother, Patricia, was his older sister. So his name was first Eric Patrick Clapp. (Clapton was the name of his mother's first husband). Even after he learned the truth, at age 9, about his mum from Rose, Clapton continued to pretend his mother was his older sister for years to come. Maybe that's too much information. Eric Clapton is 61 years old--not as ancient as the Stones, but getting on there. I have to admit it, I'm beginning to feel just a little bit old.

Comments:
I got to meet Clapton, and Steve Gadd, and Billy Preston, and Nathan East....by accident, at Maggianos restaraunt here in Atlanta. My wife and I were there for our anniversary....they walked right in and nobody even recognized them....I sent him a note via our waiter, because Clapton and I have common friends ( boutique guitar and amp makers )...and because I sent him a note, rather than bother him...he got up and greeted us out as we left.

maybe the fact that I told him we were there for a special occassion, and that our first wedding dance was Wonderful Tonight....helped our case as well.

truly a cool moment, and classy dude.


Mark Dunn
 
Great story. I've always liked him. 61 though. Hard to believe. Hard to swallow.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?