Monday, March 13, 2006

 

Selling Out

One of the few things good about being my age (52--middle of the baby boom) is that I remember some history first hand. (Quick example--I knew Herbert Humphrey had the Democrat nomination wrapped up before Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed). I also was there and un-drug addled all through the 60s. Well, at least before 1969. I can therefore accurately recall the birth and rapid death of the counter-culture. Hippies gave up on and rejected all things conventional including money (which is why the only Hippies left today (all 12 of them) are more accurately now called homeless people or bums). Money, through the things it can buy, is good. The love of money is bad; money itself is good. Nice to have. Useful.

During the Golden age of rock music, 1964 to 1971, there was a kind of unwritten code that the musicians were only in it for the music (and the groupies) and they would not deign to sully their hands with money. To change even one note in order to win popularity or to boost record sales was to sell out. You couldn't even dance to most of the music, you were just supposed to stand there and listen, I think the concept of selling out has pretty much died out of the music business (or what's left of it). Still, I have a twinge somewhere in the deep recesses of my memory every time I hear a familiar rock song used to sell some product (usually cars) and I immediately think--well, that group or singer just sold out. Here's a partial list of the song, the group, etc. and the product or company:

Love Train--The O'Jays--Coors Lite

Bang a Gong (Get It On)--T Rex--J.C. Penny

Rock and Roll--Led Zeppelin--Cadillac

Like a Rock--Bob Seeger--Chevy Trucks

Lust for Life--Iggy Pop--Carnival Cruise Lines (even though the song's about heroin addiction)

Slow Ride--Foghat--Honda

Gimme Some Lovin'--Spencer Davis Group--Ameriprise Financial

Over Under Sideways Down--Yardbirds--Chevy Cars

Sell outs one and all.

Comments:
R,

Copywrite is not my area of expertise but @ some point can't Chevrolet, or whoever, merely pay ASCAP for the right to use the song? I am sure that Bob Seegar is getting royalties but I am not sure whether he negotiated a deal or can even veto the use of his music.

Perhaps you have a reader who has knowledge in these matters and can explain it to us.
 
Pretty hard to call Marc Bolan (T Rex) a "sell out" because in 2006 "Bang a Gong" is used to advertise JC Pennys. As I remember history, Marc was killed in an automobile accident in 1977. Oh thats right, Roger, you remember history first hand.
 
Yea, poor Marc Bolan, they should have called the band 'I wrecks' and Tommy Bolan died of a heroin overdose but if they used any of his songs in a commercial he's a sellout, man. Get with the program.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?