Tuesday, March 28, 2006

 

The Best 'Heist' Movies

MSN has a short history of the Heist movie and a list of the good ones, with which list I have no problem. Something in the back of my mind says that an important one has been left out, but nothing has fought its way to consciousness. The Lavender Hill Mob, The Ladykillers, Topkapi? Nah. I'd leave Ocean's Twelve off the list. The 35 minutes of no dialogue as the burglars break into the apartment in Rififi is superb; the rest of the movie, not so good. But then I'm partial to movies that tell a compelling story without dialogue, like in Blow-Up. Also the single take 15 minute robbery in Gun Crazy is really quite impressive.

Comments:
I have not. I'll give it a look.
Would like yuour comments on the Drug War post above. If you have time.
 
Love heist movies myself ... my favorite is "The Great Train Robbery"
 
fanatic, Do you mean the one with Sean Connery or the original Thomas Edison one? I'll go with the former which was OK. I liked it as much as I liked the book (by Michael Chrichton, I think)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?