Sunday, February 26, 2006

 

Sunday Talking Heads Shows

E. J. Dionne, on ABC's This is Weak, is clearly outclassed by the others on the panel, even the woman I've never even heard of. He still gets in the Democrat talking points just because it's his turn.

I'm having an 'odi et amo' moment (I hate and I love) about the bombing of the mosque in Samarra just as I did about the crashing of the airplanes on 9/11/01. I hate the violence and ruthlessness and the dire results, but I admire the boldness of the plan. Blowing up the Shiite shrine was the perfect thing to bring on what we are trying so hard to stop. Bold, brilliant, focused and evil on a scale that is hard to imagine. Nothing is sacred; nothing is safe from these barbarous men, our enemy.

I'm just hanging around, however, for the global political wisdom of Richard "Gerbil" Gere, who has declared in the teaser for his segment that we may have "lost" Asia. You have to admire someone with such a Renaissance style intellect that he can excel at the intellectually rigorous craft of film acting and be a force in political analysis as well. Who needs smart guys like George Will and Fareed Zakaria? Get them off and bring on Gere. Oh, the second teaser has him talking about AIDS. Never mind. Even brain damaged children can master the difficult to embrace idea that diseases are bad, cures are good. Well done, Mr. Gere.

The segment is over and indeed Richard Gere wants us to spend money to stop the spread of AIDS in India. OK with me. Disease, bad. Got it.

Damn, Darren McGavin died. No sequel to A Christmas Story now. Only 11 American dead in Iraq last week. Let's see what happens in this next critical week.

Chris Wallace is leading with the port terminal story. I'm yawning. I wish the supporters of the deal (I'm one) would not imply that the critics of the deal are racists--that's how the left stops debate about Democrat policy concerning race in America. You can have serious concerns about the deal without hating the Arabs.

Oh God, it's Biden. Time to get some more coffee. Wallace is pushing the Arab bigotry line. I guess it's out there. Biden is like an emotional chameleon--he mirrors whatever emotion the questioner has, but poorly. Bill Clinton, I think, was the master of that.

I don't think I'll be supporting Mitt Romney for President, even though I like and admire him as a person. I see, from the poll, I'm not alone in my first thought.

Where are Brit and Moira? Krauthammer has perhaps a better intellect than Brit Hume but he's not as smooth or commanding, maybe from his spinal injury's effect on his breathing. I like Ceci Connelly OK, but she's often the mistress of the bleeding obvious.

This is the 13th anniversary of the first attack on the World Trade Center twin towers. We didn't learn much from that act.

Our state militias held out against the British in the early parts of our War for Independence. Our militias, good; Iraqi militias, bad. I don't get it. I'm willing to use armed force to protect my life and the lives of my family, even some of the cousins. I'm willing to join in an armed response to protect the national ideals from attack, although I'm 7 years too old to be a member of the statutory militia. Why can't people who believe a certain thing in a foreign nation band together to protect that ideal and not be called a menace to democracy? Well, I guess if the ideal is tyrannical, but is the Shia militia, for example, anti-democracy?

The Chris Matthews short Sunday show seems to have lost the ratings battle to Discovery Kids which this week has a child's version of Lost on. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Comments:
R,

Re your last 2. The question is whether the Shia militia is anything more than pro Shia. If the answer is that question is no, then take the under on democracy in Iraq. It may have taken 90 years, 600,000 dead, and another 100 years to get it right, but remember that we, the colonies that became the United States, had a history of representative government that extended more than a century b/f the Declaration of Independence.

There is no reason why the loyalties of the peoples of Iraq should be to newly installed institutions as opposed to family, tribe, and sect.

T
 
In reverse order. But there's no reason to think that Nationalism in Iraq isn't as strong as Nationalism almost anywhere else except the former Yugoslavia.
I thought we were colonies of a monarchy prior to our independence. I know the colonies had things like the House of Burgesses in Virginia, but with a king appointed governor, they were like a city council at best, the real power was with the governor. OK, some history of representative government, but not a whole heck of a lot. Very immediate gratification needy of you to expect smooth working not even 3 years in. Germany and Japan weren't smoothly working by 1948. Thanks for the comment.
 
Well stated, CIZDWH. I think the Democrats realize they have to change the perception of their being weak on national security (which is I think a perfectly accurate perception) but we recognize it as a pose, and as you point out a hypocritical one given the other arm tying behind back positions they take. Thanks for the good comment.
 
The gnashing of teeth is coming from both sides of the aisle. I heard an interview w/ the head of the company. He's an American.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?