Sunday, January 29, 2006

 

Republican Heaven

Drove down with my old friend Nate to a Republican leadership dinner at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. We were Deputy DAs together a long time ago. Nate was much better at it than I was. Anyway, because his wife (the DA of Arapahoe County, Carol Chambers) couldn't make it, I was able to go and it was great. I met some politicians including the man I believe may be the next governor, Bob Beauprez, and I met some media heroes of mine, local radio guy Mike Rosen, and, even better, Hugh Hewitt without whom this site, such as it is, would not exist. I even saw an old girlfriend who dumped me years ago without a word of explanation. I still don't know.

Nate and I were doing Republican drugs at the Broadmoor--good Bourbon, and the evening just got better and better. I bought a soccer ball signed by all the Rapids for pocket change. I got to see some of the nuts and bolts (works and problems) of the Arapahoe Republican Party. I think they can iron most of the problems out. The guy next to me at dinner (whose name I promptly forgot, sorry), was an NRA instructor and he gave me some pointers for my continuing attempts to get better at double taps. Ann Coulter was the keynote speaker but it was more of a stand-up routine than a speech. She pointed out a lot of things I think we all felt (or most of us) and, like a true genius, she told us the bleeding obvious, which was always right there in front of us, but we couldn't articulate. The thing that impressed Nate and I was her observation that the Senate judiciary committee is hand picked so that Democrats from absolutely safe seats can say outrageous things about judges, which outrageous statements appeal to their sinisterior (every more to the left) base. You never hear the Nelsons, Baucus or Dorgan unfairly criticize the able judges, "it's always Leahy, Kennedy, Biden and Feinstein," Ann Coulter said. She is indeed prettier in person than on TV. I don't know why that is.

Nate said that there are only six Deadhead Republicans in the whole country and a third of them, Ann and he, were there in the dining room. He said she was a little pollyannaish about the future of the Party. There were a lot of worried people there upset with the party over the outrageous spending and the border, either of which could start the swing of the political pendulum back. Still, it was good to be in a big room with pretty good food and drink, and hundreds of smart, successful people who share the same views and values as you. It gave me a new sense of resolve and, dare I say it, pride. Thanks, Nate, and good talking to you after too long a time.

Comments:
He probably should have, if you are who I think you are, but I'm glad he didn't.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?