Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 

Republican Fundraisers--Not All Politics is Yokel Politics

Went to a fundraiser for underdog Republican candidate for Governor, Marc Holtzman, tonight. It was at one of those mansions off Alameda overlooking the Denver Country Club that used to have all lawn between it and the street, behind the wall, but now is a cluster of mini-mansions for the nouveau riche. Because Holtzman is not the anointed one, the powerful Republicans in the area did not attend. In fact I knew no one, but I am not really part of the great and powerful Republican party (that lost both the State House and Senate, a seat in the U. S. House and one in the U. S. Senate as well, last year, while President Bush was cruising to victory here) so I probably wouldn't recognize any of those geniuses if I saw them.

I did meet the President of Poland, Alexsander Kwasniewski, though, who is a friend of Holtzman's from his days before and after the wall fell bringing a market economy to the reluctant Commies of Eastern Europe. He looked very Polish and very good. His wife, Jolanta, whom I did not meet, just looked good. He spoke English very well but I can't remember a thing of what he said except it is very difficult to go from state run to capitalism--any fool can turn free market into state run. Kwasniewski beat Lech Walesa ten years ago to gain the presidency, got Poland into NATO and the EU, and recently sent a decent size contingent of troops to Iraq to help out there. I like him already, even though he is a lefty.

It was odd; Holtzman, whom I have never seen before in my life, pretended to know me, read my name off the name tag and introduced me to the President and I shook his hand. Actually I am grateful for that. The house was lovely and amazing, the food great without being too frufru and the wine I was drinking very nice. Hardly talked politics at all, except to warn any who would listen, which was precious few, that unless Bill Ritter got a little bloodied in a primary battle, it probably wouldn't matter who won the Republican nomination. I'm already peparing my sour grapes list of why Ritter as governor is a good thing.

I also met the woman Holtzman introduced as his fiancee (and immediatley forgot her name). She works in the Attorney General's office although she isn't a lawyer, and is very nice but perhaps is just a tad too tall for Holtzman. I also met the Attorney General John Suthers and totally disparaged the two attorneys in his office who are on cases against me (just kidding).

Holtzman spoke about his view for the future for the Rocky Mountain region not dependent on the boom and bust cycle of oil. He's touting a global economy. That's all I can remember. I kept trying to see if the dozen or so hard looking Polish Secret Service types were carrying Radom pistols under their coats. I couldn't tell. They seemed to sport Communist Party buttons on their lapels, but I have to be mistaken about that.

I want Holtzman to get the nomination so Bob Beauprez stays put as the incumbent and holds onto the 7th District seat. That's the totality of my support for Holtzman. It's probably a wan hope anyway that either Holtzman can win the nomination or that, if he does, Beauprez will run for his old seat in Congress. But there is the allure of the underdog. I continue to think I was right about Bob Schaffer last year over Pete Coors although Diomedes, also a Schaffer supporter, tells me Ken Salazar would have kicked Schaffer's butt as well. Oh well, it's just politics.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?