Monday, August 15, 2005

 

Short TV Blog

Second to last 6 Feet Under tonight and it was pretty sad. I have to admit that it's ending just about when it should. I am so sick of the by now cliched visual metaphor of the dead returning to talk to the living left behind. Stop already. It doesn't happen. I thought the use of dreams was pretty good though. David's at the beginning was really creepy and Brenda's about incestuous feelings for Billy was perfectly done. I was yelling, "No! Don't do it," at the screen and she didn't (and even sent Billy away after the dream).
Claire and David are such wooses. They have just totally fallen apart over something they have been exposed to their entire life. Claire's drunken Democrat Underground talking points did little to endear her character to me. I wasn't quite hoping for a fatal accident as she sped from the coyotes, but if she had one, I was ready not to shed a tear.
And why did the sister have to help the Iraq War vet kill himself? They sell guns to guys with only one full working limb. And what was Nate doing as the child stalker/killer? I can't begin to see the phychological resonance in David hallucinating that.
Nate described death as a dreamless sleep forever (echoing Catullus' "one perpetual night to be slept" in an earlier poem of the month). I've always been a fan of Kurt Vonnegut's "violet light and a humming noise forever" myself.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?