Thursday, July 21, 2005

 

Local Music Scene (Part Two)

John Hiatt and the North Mississippi Allstars at Chautauqua in Bolder tonight were pretty good and almost purely rock and roll. Hiatt's voice, like a lot of country stars, was remarkably strong and clear. Distinct without being grating. Highlights were Memphis in the Meantime, Paper Thin and Riding with the King. The solo guitar work of Luther Dickinson sometimes soared but too often was technically proficient but soulless. (Sorry, man, I guess I'm hard to please). A couple of songs got in the groove and some people were up and dancing; and I moved a little in time in my seat (actually high praise from me). And The Tiki Bar is Open, which Hugh Hewitt plays on his radio show whenever disaster hits the Republican party, remains a darned good song. Slow Turning would have been nice.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?