Sunday, June 19, 2005

 

Short Tales

When I was a cowboy in Wyoming, the pay was terrible ( I think I figured $.70 per hour once) ; but the food was great. We had moose a lot. Moose is great--almost as good as buffalo, little bit better than beef. One day the rancher's son (Mark--Mark Mrak. Good name, huh?) was first to the dinner table and he looked at the meat on the plates and asked, "What is this, elk?" He looked more closely. "No, it's moose steak." He sat down to dinner. "Oh well, my moosesteak," he said as he began to eat.
Apparently this was an old pun in the Mrak family, but I thought it was the height of cowboy humor. For a while I said, without explanation, 'My moosesteak' whenever I acknowledged error. But as I made fewer and fewer, I quit saying it. Now that I'm back to more normal levels of error, I think I might start saying it again, just as I now use Buggs Bunny's 'What a maroon!' when someone's being a moron, because character is the gradual accumulation of personal history into one's day to day action. I wouldn't mind becoming a character as I advance in age.

Comments:
my fav word to use is "Gomer"...I figure it's better than the usual "asshole"...or worse if the situation entails...
 
Thank you for your comment. Is that like in Gomer Pyle?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?